It is important to be aware of many key factors when applying and accepting any job/internship offers. We urge you to be careful in assessing a job or internship opportunity that may come your way. If you have an uneasy feeling about the opportunity, trust your instincts and contact our office for assistance with any questions you may have.
The Pulsifer Career Development Center works diligently to prevent fraudulent companies from posting jobs or internships for Bentley students. We have criteria we consider before a job or internship is posted on Handshake. However, it is possible for a “scam” company to occasionally get by us. Additionally, you may be contacted by companies outside of Handshake and therefore we ask you to take a moment to read the information below to educate yourself on possible ‘scam’ scenarios that may occur.
Here are some helpful tips for assessing if a company or opportunity may be a scam:
- We exclude postings from companies that ask Bentley students to pay any funds up from as part of teh hiring process so NEVER wire funds via Western Union, Money Gram or any other service.
- View the company website to ensure it is a legitimate site.
- Please check Glassdoor & Google to research the company for any negative reviews and comments.
- Check that the contact email is coming from a company email address, not yahoo or gmail etc.
- Never deposit or cash a postal order or money order, (even from the U.S. post office) and send part of the proceeds to a third party. This is a common scam utilizing forged documents, and you will be responsible for the full amount of the money order.
- Never give out your financial information (bank account number, social security number, etc.) as part of applying for a job. Anyone who has your account information can use it.
- Is the pay performance based or commission only? Then ask for the performance metrics or commission percentage in writing.
- IF IT SEEMS ‘TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE’, then best to investigate a bit more.
- Should you have questions about the legitimacy of a company or posting, please contact the Recruiting Office at email@example.com.
In addition, career coaches are available to assist you.