Finals are upon us and summer is right around the corner! Whether you are gearing up for graduation, preparing for your summer internship, or still exploring possibilities- check out this list of things you should be focusing on this summer in order to remain competitive in the job/internship market. And remember that Career Services is here to help- please connect with us for an appointment (and we’ll be here over the summer)!
CIS Majors: What should I be doing this summer?
- Learn and thrive in your summer internship!
- Make the most of this opportunity. Making a difference in an internship will set you apart from your peers and show your employer that you are a top performer
- See Virtual Career Center Resource: How to Make the Most of Your Internship Experience for tips on how to prepare
- Update your resume & LinkedIn
- Be sure to update your resume and LinkedIn with all of the project work you do this summer! This will give you a head start as you engage with employers this fall
- See Virtual Career Center Resource: Resume Writing Guide for help on what to include/how to write a dynamic resume
- Check out my CareerEdge blog post on the top 10 tips for a Tech Resume: https://careeredge.bentley.edu/blog/2018/01/30/jens-ten-top-10-tips-for-tech-resumes/
- Network, network, network!
- The number one way to find a job or internship is through networking. Engage with colleagues during your internship, reach out to alumni, and talk to people in all settings. These conversations will allow you to communicate that you will be looking for an internship or full-time opportunity next year, so the earlier you can make (and sustain) these relationships, the better
- Take advantage of the Mentor Marketplace Resource! This is a resource exclusive to Bentley students and gives you the ability to connect with Bentley alums who have specifically signed up to connect with current students
- See Virtual Career Center Resource: Creating Your Network
- Get quick experience (and get paid!)
- Whether you will be working this summer or have a little bit of down time, take advantage of a ‘Micro-Internship’. Take on short-term, professional assignments throughout the summer with Parker Dewey. These projects allow you to get in the door, demonstrate your skills, enhance your resume, build your network, and explore career paths- you’ll even get paid for doing so! To find out more/create a profile, visit: http://info.parkerdewey.com/bentley
- Keep up with the trends or take a free course
- Be sure you are staying up to date on the digital technology trend! Employers will most definitely ask you about your perspective, so be sure you consistently check news sources for the most up-to-date info
- Take courses online on tech related topics and include in relevant coursework on your resume/LinkedIn profile- not only will this beef up your resume, but courses will also teach you new material you can apply to your internship. Many websites are available for online courses such as, but not limited to:
- Stay in touch with our office in the weeks leading up to fall semester
- When you return to campus, employers will hit the ground running with recruiting opportunities- you want to make sure you are aware! Stay updated by checking CareerEdge in the weeks leading up to the fall semester and be sure to sign up for email alerts to receive information specific to students interested in technology!
Best of luck with finals and enjoy your summer! We’ll see you back on campus in the fall!