With the Career Fair fast approaching on September 28th, now is a great time to get ready for it! There will be over 140 companies coming to the Fall Career Fair to meet Bentley students and share information about their companies, jobs and internships. To help you get ready, here are some important tips and tricks for making the most of the Career Fair for you!
“BEFORE THE CAREER FAIR” Tips:
1. To find out which EMPLOYERS will be attending and start doing your research BEFORE THE CAREER FAIR:
- Download the free Bentley Career Fair Plus app in the iPhone App Store or the Google Play Store. This app has all partipicating companies’ information so can get started on your research for 9/28.
- Log into BentleyLink, and click the EVENTS tab in the left-hand column, then click on “Career Fairs”, and then click on “Fall 2016 Career Fair”
Research companies you will visit: view company web page and BentleyLink to see what jobs or internships they may have already posted; think about your network–maybe a friend interned there or you know someone who works there.
IMPORTANT: Please note that there will be no hard copy brochures provided before or at the Career Fair.
2. You can now PRE-REGISTER for the Career Fair – avoid waiting in lines to register by getting a “Career Fair Fast Pass” at a Pre-Registration event.
Get your Career Fair Fast Pass (your Career Fair name tag and a lanyard) and enter a raffle to win an Apple Watch during one of these pre-registration events!
Career Fair Fast Pass Pre-Registration Event Dates: Wednesday, September 14th from 2:00-4:00 p.m. in the LaCava Tent and Monday, September 19th from 5:00-700 p.m. in the Student Center – ice cream will be served and raffle will take place!
IMPORTANT: Before your pre-register, UPDATE YOUR INFORMATION on BentleyLink. Log into BentleyLink, click “My Account” (on left side of page) – then “Academic” & update your “Graduation Date” and “Year in School”. This must be updated to ensure your name tag prints with the correct information.
“AT THE CAREER FAIR” Tips:
- This is a Business Attire event! No casual clothing or shoes (no jeans, shorts, sweats, flip flops, sneakers, short skirts, strapless/thin strap shirts, etc).
- Bring hard copies of your resume – you need to bring several copies to network with different companies.
- If a company has not stated they have a job or internship in your desired functional area, you can still stop at the table to ask questions about the company, the culture, and to see if you can learn a contact name from the area of the company in which you would be interested. If you are interested in the company, then show your interest!
- Networking is an integral part of your career from now through all future jobs, so get started and have fun—remember these company representatives are coming to Bentley because they want to meet Bentley students!
- Review jobs and internships in BentleyLink to ensure you do not miss any important application deadlines.
- We have over 300 industry representatives coming to the Career Fair; we do not collect business cards, so you will need to get the name and contact information of the people you speak with if you want to follow up!
- There will be two shuttle buses continuously transporting employers and students between upper campus and the Dana Center. The bus will pick up attendees behind the LaCava Building, Miller and Trees at the designated “Shuttle Pick Up” location and shuttle them back and forth from Dana Center. Please look for signs to direct you. This may help if you are trying to get back to upper campus for a class.
“AFTER THE CAREER FAIR” Tips:
- Companies will use the email and cell phone number you provide on your resume, so please make sure your voicemail is set up and professional. Please ensure your voicemail storage is cleared out and has room for messages.
- Check your email and make sure important communications from employers are not going into spam.
The University Career Services staff and I wish you good luck and look forward to seeing you all on the 28th!