The Ferrera Public Service Fellowship, established in honor of the popular and committed Professor of Law at Bentley, is designed to encourage student internships at nonprofit organizations. The program will provide a stipend for two fellows each year to pursue work at nonprofit organizations, government agencies and NGOs in the United States and abroad. The first fellows will be selected in spring 2013 for service during the summer.
Gerald R. Ferrera, past Adamian Professor of Law at Bentley, will retire in June 2013 following 45 years of distinguished service as a teacher and scholar. The program is made possible by a generous pledge from Ferrera’s wife and son, Judith A. Ferrera and David L. Ferrera.
A longtime advocate for careers dedicated to the greater good of society, Ferrera has encouraged many students over the years to consider community service and nonprofit work.
Ferrera Fellows Information Session:
Tuesday, October 29, 2013, 5:00-6:00 pm
- Any undergraduate student (freshmen through senior years) can apply
- Preferred G.P.A. 3.6
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
- Offer a skill set that would align with the needs of a specific host organization
- Previous community service experience preferred
- Committed to continuing public service after graduation
- Candidate needs to be able to communicate how this experience fits into their future goals with the Fellowship Committee
- Attend workplace ready workshop with career advisor before fellowship begins.
- Represent the fellowship in a professional manner.
- Fill out survey for Fellowship Committee at the halfway point of completing the fellowship
- Present your fellowship project to the Ferrera Public Service Fellowship Committee and the Bentley University community.
- Keep a journal of your activities and prepare a report (about 300 words) suitable to present to selected students, faculty, and when possible, the agency’s board of directors. This report should be on the same lines as a reflection paper.
- Create a Twitter account and tweet about your project throughout the summer
- At the conclusion of your fellowship, you will be videotaped and give a testimonial about your fellowship project and experience that will appear on Bentley University’s fellowship webpage and other Bentley University fellowship sites.
How to Apply:
- Log in to BentleyLink: http://Bentley.edu/bentleylink-career
- Click on Jobs tab
- Keyword Search: Ferrera Fellowship
- Click on Ferrera Public Service Fellowship
- Select one organization from the list of host organizations
- Write a one- to two-page letter of intent, answering: Why you are interested in the Ferrera Fellowship? Why did you select a specific agency?
- Include any past experience you have working in the public service sector
- Address the letter of intent to: The Ferrera Fellowship Committee
- Submit a copy of your resume, transcript, and a letter of recommendation from one of your Bentley professors
- September 16, 2013 – Receive Ferrera Fellowship information via weblink
- October 1, 2013: Applications open via BentleyLink
- October 15, 2013: Application deadline for Exploration School, Inc. (only juniors and seniors may apply)
- October 29, 2013: 2013 Ferrera Fellows present their projects to the Committee and Bentley University community.
- November 20, 2013; 5:00 PM: Application deadline for all other host organizations
- December, 2013: Selected applicants will interview with the Ferrera Fellowship Committee.
- January 3, 2014: Candidates selected for Summer 2014 Ferrera Fellowships – host organizations will contact candidates to arrange interviews
- Mid – late February 2014: Candidates interview with selected host organization
- March 1, 2014: Ferrera Fellows announced