West Michigan Aviation Academy is hiring a full time Mental Health Specialist!
The Mental Health Liaison School is responsible for working with students who experience difficulty in the school and community setting as a result of social-emotional, behavioral, or family issues that cause educational time loss or other challenges to academic achievement.
This position emphasizes personal and emotional support of each student as well as academic advising and college counseling. School counselors collaborate with students, parents, and teachers to ensure students are successful within the learning environment.
West Michigan Aviation Academy is a unique, innovative regional public charter high school serving students in the greater Grand Rapids area. The rigorous academic curriculum adheres to the state of Michigan requirements and to Common Core State Standards with a focus on the many aspects of the aviation industry. Students are drawn to WMAA for its STEM programming and effective use of educational technology. WMAA’s vision is to prepare students for unlimited opportunities, including college achievement, career success and engaged citizenship.
- School Social Worker Certification or Licensed School Counselor with approval by the Michigan Department of Education (MDE)
- Expertise in addressing social/emotional wellness
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to positively collaborate as a team member
- Ability to respond effectively to the needs of a diverse and demanding student and parent population
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, peers, parents, and community
- Familiarity with the culture, goals, objectives, and mission of WMAA
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Required criminal history background check
- Directly support students with social/emotional wellness and support the positive mental health of each student through interventions, brief solution-focused counseling, and professional conferral and referral
- Provides crisis intervention strategies and case management for identified students.
- Provides direct services through a variety of research-based, best practice methods and modalities which meet students’ social, emotional, and/or behavioral needs.
- Participate as a member of the MTSS team, providing Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 supports
- Collaborate with the school counselors and school social worker to make referrals to appropriate community agencies
- Maintains documentation records and submits appropriate documents for reporting.
- Monitors and assesses the effectiveness of interventions
- Participates in case conferences involving cooperation with other pupil personnel workers, Academy personnel, parents, and community agencies.
- Serves as a liaison between school, family, and community resources.
- Maintains effective communication and rapport with students, school personnel, parents and the community.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
If you are interested in learning more about West Michigan Aviation Academy, please visit our website at http://www.westmichiganaviation.org/