Make an impact at Goodwin, where we partner with our clients to practice law with integrity, ingenuity, agility and ambition. Our 1,400 lawyers across the United States, Europe and Asia excel at complex transactions, high-stakes litigation and world-class advisory services in the technology, life sciences, real estate, private equity and financial industries. Our unique combination of deep experience serving both the innovators and investors in a rapidly-changing, technology-driven economy sets us apart. Also a global destination for business professionals, Goodwin’s team of professional staff was named in 2019 the “Best Business Team” by The American Lawyer.
As the Sr. Accountant, you will ensure the accurate and timely processing of accounting information in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and the firm’s accounting policies and procedures. Additional responsibilities include regulatory reporting and tax schedules.
What you do:
- Prepare and maintain a variety of complex financial transactions including partnership accounting schedules on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Act as a mentor to other accountants and Co-Ops to facilitate the recording of new and complicated accounting and tax transactions
- Proactively recommend operational improvements to address emerging regulations globally
- Run and be administrator of the reconciliation tool Floqast to help ensure monthly dash board is up to date and all tasks are assigned and completed
- Prepare complicated monthly account reconciliations for firm accounts, including multi-currency reconciliations on cash and accrual basis of accounting and posts all journal entries to the firm’s integrated financial system
- First level of review more straight forward account reconciliations as prepared by the staff
- Be the general ledger liaison to the payroll team – understand how payroll and benefits translate from payroll system to general ledger system
- Be the expert on journal entries for US and statutory purposes
- Help drive efficiencies in the monthly/annual close process by partnering with FP&A and Accounts Payable
- Work with the international team on VAT and Statutory reporting requirements
- Partner with accounts payable team when researching reconciling items and help drive process to get results recorded
- Create and maintain financial statement formats and ERP general ledger mapping requirements firm’s financial system
- Maintain and prepare fixed asset and depreciation schedules on a monthly basis in SAGE fixed assets, adjusting for new capital expenditures and/or retired assets. Understands, researches and recommends changes to depreciation lives and methods based on evolving tax regulations
- Perform the month-end and year-end financial system closing processes including the preparation of monthly financial statements and management reports
- Prepare requested schedules for all firm audits (US, UK, Paris, Germany, HK and LUX), including financial and client accounts and the preparation of the audited full disclosure financial statements.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of related financial management experience in a professional service organization; law firm experience preferred.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Excellent computer skills, proficiency in spreadsheet software applications, and ability to train others in their use.
- Experience with International operations; including working within multiple book types and multiple currencies.