The Brigham Digital Innovation Hub, or iHub, is an initiative within Brigham and Women’s Hospital focused on creating and supporting a culture of digital innovation at the hospital, accelerating internal ideas, and solving hospital challenges with novel digital tools. We are infatuated with discovering digital solutions to solve our industry’s biggest challenges and are passionate about how digital innovation can transform care delivery.
We’re on a mission to find the newest member of our awesomely innovative team to join us as a Marketing & Communications Intern. This position requires a unique personality: insane organizational skills and level-headed professionalism balanced with the ability to approach problems with enthusiastic curiosity and limitless creativity. If you’re the standout candidate, you know who you are and don’t apologize for it.
Everyone on our team cares deeply about working on behalf of our network of clinicians, administrators, researchers, innovators and entrepreneurs to create a massive impact on patient care. As the Marketing & Communications Intern, you will be responsible for the content creation and social media management that will multiply the reach and influence of the iHub across this wide network. Additionally, we will look to you to think strategically about the how and why of our community engagement efforts. The work you do will play a key role in growing the iHub and give you the opportunity to have hospital-wide impact.
We’re a small team that gets a lot done through hard work and a healthy dose of fun to keep us all sane. We are proud of being so nimble that we dance circles around a traditional corporate setting, accomplishing twice the amount of work in half the time. So, if you can move fast, staying light on your feet while retaining a strong self-driven streak, and can collaborate, you’ll succeed here. We’ll be the first to say this isn’t your average health tech gig. We are a quirky bunch and it can get crazy sometimes, but knowing that we’re helping care for patients and shaping the future of digital health more than makes up for it.
Please note that this is an unpaid opportunity for a non-profit organization designed to supplement coursework and study in the areas of marketing, communication, design, technology, and other related fields. We will invest best effort to work with you to design a learning and development plan along with a schedule that aligns with your coursework and academic commitments.
Duties & Responsibilities
General Marketing Support
- Content Creation: Support team by creating content for iHub blogs, newsletters, and presentations
- Asset Management: Organize and manage iHub signage/creative materials
- Web Presence: Be part of the web team to ensure content is up to date and accurately reflects our work
iHub Lookbook Design
- Research best practices for lookbook design, including visual design, content formats, and overall storytelling
- Develop a communications and design strategy to best showcase how the iHub contributed to the COVID-19 response at BWH to multiple audiences through a lookbook
- Tell the story of the iHub by designing the format, flow, and content for this lookbook
- Collect and assemble content to create a booklet that accurately tells the story of the iHub in 2020 in an engaging and fresh way
- Act as a strategic thought partner as we think about how we can best distribute this lookbook to a broader audience
Through this experience, we aim to enable you to:
- Gain a deeper understanding of a hospital’s rationale and process for their COVID-19 response efforts
- Meet, connect, and work with a talented and nimble hospital innovation team
- Gain experience in developing marketing strategy, creating design standards, and implementing a communication plan
- Gain a deeper understanding of how a hospital innovation team delivers value to the larger organization
- Translate insights and accomplishments into a cohesive communication plan targeted at multiple audiences and aimed at growing meaningful engagement
- You are currently enrolled in a degree program (undergraduate or graduate) in the fields of marketing, communications, design, technology, or other related fields and are looking to make an impact in healthcare innovation at a world-class hospital
- You have the technical chops: competence with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and the ability to learn new technology quickly
- Prior work experience in a marketing and communications role, especially in an innovation or healthcare setting, is a huge plus
- You’re passionate about digital health
- You’re resourceful and scrappy
- You have a natural inclination to explore and use creativity and curiosity to problem solve
- You have excellent organization skills, analytical skills, and ability to think on your feet
- Experience with project management: you can apply slick ninja skills to assist with multiple projects at once, and prioritize in the face of numerous opportunities without ever missing a beat
- You’re detail oriented to a fault with projects but never lose sight of the bigger picture
- You can take charge of a project, and make decisions with limited information
- You easily convince others to prioritize and deliver on your asks of them
- You’re passionate about helping those around you and fostering a welcoming ambience
- You’re confident and sophisticated in written and oral communications
- You’re highly flexible, comfortable working within an evolving structure, and able to re-establish priorities as they change
- You have a thirst for knowledge and a passion for healthcare, innovation and creativity
- You can be comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, while simultaneously understanding the needs, process and mindset of a large organization