In 2013, Bentley launched Career Development Introduction 101 (CDI 101) to equip first year students with a comprehensive career toolkit and the ability to understand and “tell their story”. The course is the first step in a four year Hire Education program designed to support our belief that competence, confidence, and community lead to meaningful careers and lives. The 6-week class is designed and taught by Bentley career advisers, enrolls over 1010 first-year students and addresses the foundational aspects of career development including:
- Self-Assessment and Awareness: Identification of personal strengths/talents and how they impact career decision making and the development of effective job search marketing collateral
- Written Communication: Development of tangible self-marketing pieces: resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile, and electronic business correspondence
- Verbal Communication: Development of elevator pitch and professional informational meeting and networking skills
- Internships: Knowledge of internship search process and tools
- Career Resources: Knowledge and proper use of career exploration resources
Successful completion of the course is noted on students’ transcripts and serves as a prerequisite for a one-credit internship, CDI 102, allowing students to secure paid and unpaid internships requiring academic credit.
Please Note: The credit you receive through the one-credit internship (CDI 102) does not go toward your graduation requirements.
In 2016, Bentley launched its new Career Development Introduction 201 (CDI 101) for sophomores which focuses on job search readiness. The curriculum is centered on advanced StrengthsFinder based assessment, customized career action planning, advanced internship search techniques, and interviewing preparation and practice (which includes a mock interview with an employer). The 6-week class is designed and taught by Bentley career advisers, is offered in the Fall of students’ second year and covers:
- Applying Talent in Career Exploration based on Strengths
- Personality & Environment “Fit” based on Interests
- Customized Career Action Planning
- Job Search Readiness & the 21st Century Internship Search
- Interview Preparation
- Interview Practice