Now that the summer months have wrapped up and we are starting yet another year of college, it is time for reflection. Reflection is such a key element to your professional development because it allows you to think back and be honest with yourself on your own growth over a period of time. Many of you might have had summer internships, some virtual others in the office. Many of you may not have had any traditional work experience and focused on building a skill set instead. Either way, it is time to take a few minutes to organize your thoughts about the past 3 months. Here are some things to think about when you reflect.
- What soft skills did you develop?
- How many new connections did you make in your professional network?
- Did you develop new technical skills?
- Did you complete any academic courses or educational certifications?
- What did you like and what did you not like about your summer work experience?
- What key takeaways did you learn from your summer experience?
- What are you most proud of that you accomplished this summer? What new goals are you setting for this academic year?