The Clifton StrengthsFinder results describe this talent theme as follows; “The Strategic theme enables you to sort through the clutter and find the best route. It is not a skill that can be taught. It is a distinct way of thinking, a special perspective on the world at large. This perspective allows you to see patterns where others simply see complexity. Mindful of these patterns, you play out alternative scenarios, always asking, ‘What if this happened? Okay, well what if this happened?’ This recurring question helps you see around the next corner. There you can evaluate accurately the potential obstacles. Guided by where you see each path leading, you start to make selections. You discard the paths that lead nowhere. You discard the paths that lead straight into resistance. You discard the paths that lead into a fog of confusion. You cull and make selections until you arrive at the chosen path — your strategy. Armed with your strategy, you strike forward. This is your Strategic theme at work: ‘What if?’ Select. Strike.”
If the above description describes you, be sure to read below for career tips and tricks tailored to your strengths!
People who are especially talented in the Strategic theme ask: “What if?” Then select and strike.
Career Search Tips for Strategic Talents:
- Your greatest contribution to a group may be to discover the best path to success. Because you can do this quickly, it may look as if you are “winging it,” but explaining yourself along the way will help others understand what you see.
- Schedule daily “quiet time” devoted to consideration of your current goals and strategies. This focused time away from the action might be the environment in which you are best able to think through the options to find the right course of action.
- Trust your insights as much as possible.
- Because you naturally consider options at such a fast pace, even you might not know how you came up with the strategy – but because of your exceptional talents, it will likely be successful.
- Find a group that you think does important work and contribute your strategic thinking. You can be a leader with your ideas.
Below is a video created by the Gallup Strengths Center that goes into more detail about the Strategic Talent Theme and how it can help you on your path to success!