The Clifton StrengthsFinder results describe this talent theme as follows; “You love to solve problems. Whereas some are dismayed when they encounter yet another breakdown, you can be energized by it. You enjoy the challenge of analyzing the symptoms, identifying what is wrong, and finding the solution. You may prefer practical problems or conceptual ones or personal ones. You may seek out specific kinds of problems that you have met many times before and that you are confident you can fix. Or you may feel the greatest push when faced with complex and unfamiliar problems. Your exact preferences are determined by your other themes and experiences. But what is certain is that you enjoy bringing things back to life. It is a wonderful feeling to identify the undermining factor(s), eradicate them, and restore something to its true glory. Intuitively, you know that without your intervention, this thing-this machine, this technique, this person, this company-might have ceased to function. You fixed it, resuscitated it, rekindled its vitality. Phrasing it the way you might, you saved it.”
If the above description describes you, be sure to read below for career tips and tricks tailored to your strengths!
People who are especially talented in the Restorative theme believe every problem has a solution. Use your talents to find it and fix it.
Career Search Tips for Restorative Talents:
- Seek roles in which you are paid to solve problems. You might particularly enjoy roles in medicine, consulting, computer programming, or customer service, in which your success depends on your ability to restore and resolve.
- Look for turnaround situations that others avoid. You will enjoy the challenge, and you will further your “can do” abilities and reputation.
- You might be attracted to difficult problems, but also look for easy-to-solve problems that offer big results.
- Let everyone know that you enjoy fixing problems. It comes naturally to you, although many people shy away from problems. You can help.
- Think through the ways you can improve your skills and knowledge. Identify the courses you can take to plug any gaps.
Below is a video created by the Gallup Strengths Center that goes into more detail about the Restorative Talent Theme and how it can help you on your path to success!