The Clifton StrengthsFinder results describe this talent theme as follows; “Your Responsibility theme forces you to take psychological ownership for anything you commit to, and whether large or small, you feel emotionally bound to follow it through to completion. Your good name depends on it. If for some reason you cannot deliver, you automatically start to look for ways to make it up to the other person. Apologies are not enough. Excuses and rationalizations are totally unacceptable. You will not quite be able to live with yourself until you have made restitution. This conscientiousness, this near obsession for doing things right, and your impeccable ethics, combine to create your reputation: utterly dependable. When assigning new responsibilities, people will look to you first because they know it will get done. When people come to you for help — and they soon will — you must be selective. Your willingness to volunteer may sometimes lead you to take on more than you should.”
If the above description describes you, be sure to read below for career tips and tricks tailored to your strengths!
People who are especially talented in the Responsibility theme take psychological ownership for the things that matter most to you.
Career Search Tips for Responsibility Talents:
- Always check your schedule and your to-do list before taking on a new request. You will create a realistic opportunity to meet all of your commitments without overworking yourself, and you’ll demonstrate to others your serious approach to your responsibilities.
- Keep volunteering for more duties than your experience seems to warrant. You thrive on new responsibilities and can deal with them very effectively.
- Align yourself with others who share your sense of commitment. You will thrive when surrounded by others who take their responsibilities as seriously as you do.
- Sometimes you need to remind yourself to say “no.” Because you are instinctively responsible, it might be very difficult to refuse opportunities. For this reason you must be selective.
- Be your organization’s ethical watchdog by taking swift action to eliminate and prevent unethical behavior and publicly recognizing displays of strong ethics.
Below is a video created by the Gallup Strengths Center that goes into more detail about the Responsibility Talent Theme and how it can help you on your path to success!