The Clifton StrengthsFinder results describe this talent theme as follows; “Competition is rooted in comparison. When you look at the world, you are instinctively aware of other people’s performance. Their performance is the ultimate yardstick. No matter how hard you tried, no matter how worthy your intentions, if you reached your goal but did not outperform your peers, the achievement feels hollow. Like all competitors, you need other people. You need to compare. If you can compare, you can compete, and if you can compete, you can win. And when you win, there is no feeling quite like it. You like measurement because it facilitates comparisons. You like other competitors because they invigorate you. You like contests because they must produce a winner. You particularly like contests where you know you have the inside track to be the winner. Although you are gracious to your fellow competitors and even stoic in defeat, you don’t compete for the fun of competing. You compete to win. Over time you will come to avoid contests where winning seems unlikely.”
If the above description describes you, be sure to read below for career tips and tricks tailored to your strengths!
People who are especially talented in the Competition theme always finish strong because they aim for first place.
Career Search Tips for Competition Talents:
- Create daily measures of success for you and the teams you are involved with. Strive to learn what it takes to win consistently.
- Frequently review measurements of your past performances. Your talents will naturally drive you to identify and surpass your personal records.
- Take the time to celebrate your wins. In your world, there is no victory without celebration.
- Seek competitive friends.
- Turn ordinary tasks into competitive games. You will get more done this way.
- Know when it’s time to say “winning isn’t everything in this situation.”
- Finding win-win solutions can lead to positive relationships with others while maintaining your own motivation.
Below is a video created by the Gallup Strengths Center that goes into more detail about the Competition Talent Theme and how it can help you on your path to success!