The Clifton StrengthsFinder results describe this talent theme as follows; “You live in the moment. You don’t see the future as a fixed destination. Instead, you see it as a place that you create out of the choices that you make right now. And so you discover your future one choice at a time. This doesn’t mean that you don’t have plans. You probably do. But this theme of Adaptability does enable you to respond willingly to the demands of the moment even if they pull you away from your plans. Unlike some, you don’t resent sudden requests or unforeseen detours. You expect them. They are inevitable. Indeed, on some level you actually look forward to them. You are, at heart, a very flexible person who can stay productive when the demands of work are pulling you in many different directions at once.”
Kristine Vidic, one of our dedicated Career Advisors and Strengths Coach Extraordinaire has the following advice for students with Adaptability in their Top 5 Strengths. If the above description describes you, be sure to read below!
People who are especially talented in the Activator theme can make things happen by turning thoughts into action. Thus, you’ve got to learn how to capitalize on that strength!
Career Search Tips for Adaptability Talents:
- Do a job shadow with people in careers that interest you and watch how they continually respond to the variety of requests of their customers and clients.
- Interview alum or upper classmen who have jobs or internships that demand flexibility and how they love rapid changes. Ask what their typical day is like.
- Find an internship in an organization where the demand for flexibility exists hour-by-hour and day-by-day. Pay close attention to how your adaptability talents benefit you in these settings.
- Your adaptability talents will flourish in environments that reward responsiveness and your ability to “turn on a dime.”
- You may thrive in chaos. Avoid looking for opportunities and environments that are highly structured or routine, with lots of rules.
Below is a video created by the Gallup Strengths Center that goes into more detail about the Adaptability Talent Theme and how it can help you on your path to success!