Talent Tuesday: Achiever
What do we mean by Achiever?
The Clifton StrengthsFinder results describe this talent theme as follows; “Your Achiever theme helps explain your drive. Achiever describes a constant need for achievement. You feel as if every day starts at zero. By the end of the day you must achieve something tangible in order to feel good about yourself. And by “every day” you mean every single day — workdays, weekends, vacations. No matter how much you may feel you deserve a day of rest, if the day passes without some form of achievement, no matter how small, you will feel dissatisfied. You have an internal fire burning inside you. It pushes you to do more, to achieve more.”
Kristine Vidic, one of our dedicated Career Advisors and Strengths Coach Extraordinaire has the following advice for students with Achiever in their Top 5 Strengths. If the above description describes you, be sure to read below!
People exceptionally talented in the Achiever theme work hard and possess a great deal of stamina. They take immense satisfaction in being busy and productive. Thus, you’ve got to learn how to capitalize on that strength!
If Achiever is a dominant theme for you, you should direct your energy to these action items…
- Look for internships that will draw on your unending supply of internal motivation, determination, and stamina.
- Partner with someone with strong Discipline or Focus talents who can help you sort through your priorities.
- Take time to celebrate each success like ace-ing an exam before moving on to the next item or task, even for just a few minutes.
- Form relationships with students in your classes or residence hall who are as driven as you are.
- Although you might be naturally equipped to work harder and longer than others, be sure to take regular breaks.
- As much as possible, limit your commitments to tasks that are aligned with your highest priorities. .
- You probably have a to-do-list for every day of the week, be careful not to take on too many goals at once.
- Even though you may feel like you don’t need as much sleep as others, make sure you get enough sleep so you will achieve everything on your list and more.
- Look for leadership opportunities on campus that offer experiences that will add to your personal development.
Below is a video created by the Gallup Strengths Center that goes into more detail about the Achiever Talent Theme and how it can help you on your path to success!