Most of the time, you will hear me telling students to stay off the Internet while looking for opportunities for work. I really think you should be networking instead of spending all your time online. Students can spend tons of hours a day plugging in search criteria and sending their resume into a black hole by hitting the “apply” button, which almost guarantees you to nothing. Most job postings are already filled or will be taken by someone who already works in the company.
With that being said, I think the internship search is different, especially for college students who are looking for a summer opportunity. Don’t get me wrong, I think looking for an internship should first start with tapping into your personal network, relying on personal referrals, and targeting companies that you really want to work for. I do think there is something to say about online searches and how they can really work for internships. I have put together some sites that have produced great opportunities for economic students.
- LinkedIn: This is an amazing resource that I think most students forget about when looking for an internship. When you join the “Bentley University Community” on LinkedIn, it gives you access to over 38,000 Bentley Alums working in the Business world.
- Glassdoor: This site gets their internship listings from several sources, including company websites, partnerships with job boards, and directly from employers.
- Google: I love using the Google search mode. I put in “paid finance internship New York City” and got hits for several sites.
- BentleyLink: Our own database that posts current internship listings on a day-to-day basis
- Internship.com: It offers 100,000 listings from over 60,000 employers.
- Internmatch.com: It lists internships from 30,000 companies. It specializes in internships and entry-level jobs up to two years after graduation.
- Indeed.com: Enables you to search internships on 1,000’s of websites.
- Idealist: If you are looking for an internship, volunteer opportunities or a nonprofit internship, this is the site that can assist you.