On Friday February 6, executives and alumni at John Hancock hosted a ½ day Open House for Bentley students to promote their CPA Development Program and internship opportunities. Over 30 Bentley students trekked into the corporate headquarters and were treated to presentations about the firm from alumnus Charlie Rizzo ‘82, VP and CFO Fund Administration and Steve Finch, EVP and CFO. Numerous alumni in the program also shared their impressions of the organization, emphasizing the tight-knit and supportive culture and the strong collaboration among program participants. Some of the Bentley alumni included Ashley King ‘13, Brett Kuba ‘13, Patrick Renstrom ’14 and Michael Bellucci ‘14 who, along with others, networked with students over lunch to answer questions and to discuss their experiences.
According to Brett Kuba (CFA ’13)… “The structured program makes it an easy transition from college to the real world.” Ashley King ’13, MSA ‘14 cited the rigorous training and the willingness of managers and former program participants to answer questions and to provide guidance. Patrick Renstrom ’14 appreciated the variety of rotational assignments within Hancock’s Finance organization including mutual funds, operational risk, financial reporting, derivatives, tax, shared services, internal audit and investments, to name a few. Overall, the enthusiasm of Bentley alumni in the program was infectious.
Bentley accounting majors who seek the CPA designation, but who are hesitant to pursue the public accounting career path because of concerns about work/life balance or incurring the cost of achieving the 150-hour requirement should explore the CPA Development Program. For the following reasons, John Hancock offers a very compelling value proposition.
- The firm pays for a Master’s degree, allowing students to be hired at graduation
- Candidates participate in (2) 18-month structured rotations with built-in training and extensive mentoring
- Participants are granted 20 paid days off (1-month) to study for the CPA exam
- Students who pass the CPA within 12 months receive a $5K bonus
- Promotions are received after each passed exam
- And perhaps the most important reason to consider John Hancock – no “busy season”