In 2013, Bentley launched Career Development Introduction 101 (CDI 101) to equip first year students with a comprehensive career toolkit and the ability to understand and “tell their story”. The course is the first step in a four year Hire Education program designed to support our belief that competence, confidence, and community lead to meaningful careers and lives. The 6-week class is designed and taught by Bentley career advisers, enrolls over 900 first-year students and addresses the foundational aspects of career development including:
- Self-Assessment and Awareness: Identification of personal strengths/talents and how they impact career decision making and the development of effective job search marketing collateral
- Written Communication: Development of tangible self-marketing pieces: resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile, and electronic business correspondence
- Verbal Communication: Development of elevator pitch and professional informational meeting and networking skills
- Internships: Knowledge of internship search process and tools
- Career Resources: Knowledge and proper use of career exploration resources
Successful completion of the course is noted on students’ transcripts and serves as a prerequisite for a one-credit internship, allowing students to secure paid and unpaid internships requiring academic credit.